Application Information and Requirements
Fall Term Enrollment: January 31
Spring Term Enrollment: September 15
Notes: Applications received by these dates will be given priority (although all applications will be reviewed). Students applying for Fall enrollment are given priority for financial assistance.
Fill out the Boise State University graduate application and pay the required application fee (see http://graduatecollege.boisestate.edu/howtoapply/).
A completed application includes the following:
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Send to:
Graduate Admission and Degree Services
Room 307, Riverfront Hall
Boise State University
1910 University Dr.
Boise, ID 83725-1110.
- Official GRE scores for the General Test. Use Boise State institutional code 4018 to request official scores from Educational Testing Services.
- For international students, official TOEFL score or IELTS score. See https://admissions.boisestate.edu/international/language-requirements/ for score requirements.
- Two letters of recommendation from academic faculty or recent employers.
- A brief letter (no more than two pages) describing applicant’s background, academic interests, career goals and how our program will help achieve these goals. Indicate faculty members you are most interested conducting research with.
- A resume listing educational training, GPA, awards, research experience, publications, poster presentations, grants, etc.
Minimum Entrance Requirements
(The requirements that follow are the minimum requirements but do not guarantee admission)
At least a 3.0 for all upper division credits taken in their previous undergraduate degree program (a lower GPA may be accepted, but the student will be considered “provisional”)
The score in two portions of the GRE (Verbal, Quantitative or Analytical) must be in the 35th percentile or higher for “regular” status. Generally this means an overall score of 1000 (a lower score may be accepted, but the student will be considered “provisional”)
International Students are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Please see https://admissions.boisestate.edu/international/language-requirements/ for score requirements.
Removal of Provisional Status
Lower GPAs or GRE scores may still be acceptable, but “B” or better grades in all coursework and “satisfactory progress” in their research during the first year are required for “provisional” status to be removed.
Prerequisite deficiencies (up to 9 credits) must be completed during the first year. These will not count toward the graduate credit requirements. A “B” or better is required in these courses.
Failure to remove “provisional” status during the first year will result in administrative removal of the student from the program by the Dean of the Graduate College.