IMPORTANT! If you are enrolled in a chemistry lab you MUST attend the first week of lab or you WILL be dropped from both lab and lecture. If you are absent from the first lab and have not contacted your instructor about it you run the risk of being dropped from both lecture and lab within 24 hours of the first class meeting!!
- You must complete MATH 143 with a C- or higher, OR
- successfully complete the ACCUPLACER Math Placement Exam for college algebra. The following link shows the appropriate score required: https://testing.boisestate.edu/math/ for more information, OR
- place out of MATH 143 with the appropriate math SAT or ACT scores. The following link shows the appropriate scores required: https://testing.boisestate.edu/math/ for more information.
Yes. Most AP Chemistry classes are equivalent to CHEM 111/111L at Boise State. A score of 4 or higher is required for course credit, and we need to see either your AP lab notebook or course syllabus for review. Please turn materials in to the Chemistry Department Office in SCNC 153/154.
At this point in time, we are not accepting IB exam scores for chemistry course credit.
Unfortunately, no. We currently do not offer a test for placement out of any chemistry course.
IF ALL LAB SECTIONS OF A CLASS ARE FULL, WE CANNOT ENROLL YOU INTO THE CLASS (even with a permission number)! The Chemistry Department does not override laboratory capacity for physical safety reasons.
The following instructions apply to CHEM 101/102, 111/112, 301/302, 307/308, and 309/310:
Before Classes Begin:
- Log in to my.BoiseState at least once daily to check the status of the class! There is usually a lot of enrollment activity as the first week of class approaches.
- We DO NOT take waiting lists. We have no control over openings that occur on the web. Attend the first week of lecture (as long as room capacities are not exceeded) so that if an opening becomes available you are not behind.
Once Classes Start:
- During the first week of classes, watch my.BoiseState often for openings as those who do not attend the lab in which they are enrolled will be dropped from both lab and lecture to create openings. There is also quite a bit of enrollment activity during the first week of classes as students rearrange their schedules.
During the second week of classes:
- Contact the Chemistry Department office to inquire about enrolling at this point.
If you are enrolled in one section (of lecture or lab) and you wish to switch into another section that is open – Do NOT drop yourself from the class to add a different one! This must be done in person at the my.BoiseState Help Desk (in ADMN 110) to prevent losing your seat in both lecture and lab, as the system will require that you drop from both.
- Fill out this form and take it to ADMN 110: http://registrar.boisestate.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/registrationoverride.pdf (*you will not need an instructor/department signature if the class you are switching into is open*)
If you are a Chemistry major and cannot get into a class that may affect your graduation schedule, contact Karen Hammond (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (208) 426-1386) to determine an appropriate course of action to minimize delays in graduation.
*** If you still have enrollment questions please contact Kristen Fil by email: email@example.com or by phone: 208.426.3000 for more information.***