Student Job Opportunity – Chemistry Instructional Assistant
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is accepting applications for the position of Chemistry Instructional Assistant (CIA) in the Chemistry Instructional Center (CIC). This position will promote student success in chemical education by guiding students to become independent problem-solvers in chemistry. This is a part-time, non-benefit eligible position and the applicants must be a current student at Boise State University. Work-study students are encouraged to apply.
Why Should You Apply?
- $10.50/hr with flexible hours
- Develop/enhance leadership skills
- Improve problem solving skills in chemistry
- Prepare for MCAT, GRE, and other post-graduate entrance exams
- Build relationships with students and professors
Who Should Apply?
- Current Boise State student
- Cumulative overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Taken CHEM 111/112 and earned an A or B or has taken other first year chemistry equivalent to CHEM 111/112 and earned an A or B
- Experience working with a diverse set of students both one on one and in groups
- Create a safe and welcoming environment
- Previous tutoring or facilitation experience – B2, Learning Assistant, private tutoring, teaching lab, etc.
- Excellent communication skills
- Create a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment that encourages students to freely ask questions
- Foster learning through student-student interactions as well as student – CIA interactions
- Guide students through the critical thinking process required to approach chemistry problems
- Serve primarily as a group facilitator, rather than a secondary lecturer
- Apply different learning strategies when appropriate – active learning, peer-to-peer learning, etc.
- Attend a paid, all-day training the week before the semester starts (one in Fall and one in Spring) August 14th (Monday) or August 18th (Friday)
- Attend biweekly meetings on Mondays from 3:00-4:15pm
- Arrive on time and review material necessary each week
Applications will be accepted immediately and considered until the position is filled. If you are interested, please email the following four documents to email@example.com
- your résumé of experience, including current contact information,
- completed questionnaire,
- a copy of your unofficial transcript and
- your class schedule and availability